MIET AFRICA’s programmes and projects fall within three main focus areas:
- Addressing barriers to learning and development
- Enhancing the quality of education
- Youth development
Addressing Barriers to Learning and Development
MIET AFRICA employs a holistic and comprehensive approach to addressing barriers to development.
Emerging out of our Schools as Centres of Care and Support model, this focus area entails supporting the transformation of education institutions in SADC Member States into inclusive centres of learning, care and support, where every learner, especially the most vulnerable, can learn. Key to achieving this is the reduction of the impact of societal, systemic, pedagogical and intrinsic barriers that impede the achievement of the Education For All targets and Sustainable Development Goals.
Enhancing the Quality of Education
MIET AFRICA is committed to working with Ministries of Education to design innovative approaches to support the strengthening of education systems and institutions that ensure improved learner performance and education for all.
This is achieved through:
- Relevant research and development (into causal factors and needs)
- Conceptualizing, piloting and implementing innovative and relevant developmental programmes/projects
- Meaningful and inclusive partnerships (with partners from within and outside government)
- Implementation of innovative approaches (including use of technology-based solutions and learner-centred methodologies)
The challenges facing the youth in the SADC Region are multifaceted and include high unemployment rates and an acute shortage of relevant skills; high drop-out rates; health issues, such as HIV&AIDS and sexually transmitted infections; social ills, such as high rates of youth pregnancy and substance abuse. In response, MIET AFRICA has developed a comprehensive youth programme dedicated to addressing these challenges in a targeted way.
Intervention programmes target youth in high schools, out-of-school youth, and the youth in tertiary institutions. Partnering with tertiary institutions, SETAs (Sector Education and Training Authorities), youth formations, and other relevant stakeholder groups, initiatives aim to expand opportunities for youth to engage in appropriate education programmes, find employment, create employment and consequently participate in the wider economic and social development of our country.
Within our areas of focus, we offer the following services:
- Project Management
- Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting (MER)
- Advocacy and Communication
- Innovative Research and Development
- Materials Development
- Skills Development and Training
Services can be utilized individually or in combination.