Vacancy: Co-ordinator / Trainer
Creative Arts Education: Umlazi District, KZN
MIET AFRICA, an education development NGO working in partnership with the National Lotteries Cooperation (NLC) and the KZN Department of Education (KZN DoE), requires the services of an experienced Creative Arts Education specialist to coordinate and lead the implementation of a Creative Arts support programme in primary schools in the Umlazi Education District, KZN. The position requires a person who is passionate about the creative arts and child development. The project includes development and support of teachers in the teaching of Creative Arts in primary schools. This is a Durban-based position which requires a versatile individual who can inspire teachers, learners and the school communities about the importance of the Creative Arts in the holistic development of children. This is a 12-month contract post located at the Head Office of MIET AFRICA in Durban.
- Lead the training, development and support of Creative Arts teachers from the xxxx project schools through support workshops, one-on-one teacher mentoring and support visits
- Work with Creative Arts teachers to identify their schools’ needs in terms of the Creative Arts programme in alignment with the CAPS for Creative Arts
- Support the development and implementation of balanced teaching and learning programmes in the Creative Arts at primary schools in collaboration with both the Departments of Education and Arts and Culture
- Collaborate with, oversee the work of and support community-based volunteer artists, dramatists and musicians to develop a holistic Creative Arts support progarmme at the project schools
- Conduct an audit of creative arts resources at the project schools with a view to procuring appropriate banks of resources for each school to support the teaching and learning of the Creative Arts programme
- Advocate for the support of the Creative Arts programme and for the promotion of the Creative Arts within the Education District, schools and the school communities
- Coordinate events, exhibitions and performances by learners within schools and clusters of schools to showcase the work done in schools in the Creative Arts
- In collaboration with the DCES for Creative Arts, coordinate the staging of the final performance, exhibition and event at district level to showcase the work of the project schools
- Conduct internal monitoring and support of the project (includes overseeing the assessment of learners), and prepare monthly reports on the progress of the project
- Manage the budget for materials, resources and teacher and learner activities
- Tertiary qualification, preferably post graduate (Creative Arts and Education with some specialization such as Music, Visual Arts, Drama)
- At least five years’ experience in the teaching of / involvement in the Creative Arts
- Experience in workshop facilitation and adult training
- Project coordination and management skills especially in the context of education support programmes and performance in the Creative Arts
- Experience in working with DoE officials at all levels
- Passion for holistic development of children through participation in the Creative Arts
- Willingness to work flexible hours (weekends and holidays)
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written, including report writing skills)
- Code 8 (EB) driver’s licence and own reliable vehicle to be used in the execution of duties
Interested applicants should:
Send an email, clearly stating “Creative Arts Co-ordinator/Trainer: NLC-KZNDoE 2018” in the subject line, and attach:
- A letter of application, clearly stating the position
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Copy of ID
- Copy of work permit (if non-South African resident)
- Copy of valid and unendorsed driver’s licence
- Copy of police clearance certificate or affidavit declaring any criminal activities
- Copy of qualifications
To: HR on firstname.lastname@example.org
Note the following:
The salary will be discussed with the successful applicant.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
MIET AFRICA reserves the right not to fill the post, or to re-advertise to widen the pool of applicants. It also reserves the right to do a complete verification of all information supplied.
Closing date for applications is 22 June 2018.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.