MIET AFRICA, an NGO working in education development, seeks to appoint a project manager. The successful applicant will be responsible for the management of a national programme that strengthens school-based health, education and nutrition systems to improve education outcomes, overseeing its implementation in several provinces across South Africa. The programme involves working with the national and provincial education departments and multi-sectoral stakeholder groups to operationalise policy around sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR), menstrual hygiene management (MHM), water and sanitation hygiene (WASH) and nutrition. It includes a substantial advocacy and capacity building component and requires travel within South Africa.
This is a four-year contract position, based at MIET AFRICA’s Head Office in Durban.
Knowledge, skills and experience required
- A Bachelor’s degree in Social Work, Public Health, Education, Development or related field (a post-graduate qualification is an advantage)
- Knowledge and experience in the education, health and/or development sectors
- Knowledge and experience in SRHR, HIV & AIDS, WASH, MHM and nutrition
- A minimum of five years’ experience in senior project management, including managing budgets, staff performance and the monitoring and evaluation framework (data collection and management)
- Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills
- High-level planning and organizational skills
- High-level communication skills, both written and verbal and ability to write reports
- Ability to establish and maintain relationships with project partners, clients and stakeholders at all levels
- Ability to problem-solve and multi-task
- Computer literacy (MS Office package)
Key Performance Areas
The project manager is expected to ensure effective project implementation by:
- Ensuring targets are met
- Managing the project budget
- Managing the performance of the project staff
- Managing the Monitoring, Evaluation and Research framework, tools and templates for project implementation
- Managing the advocacy and communications strategy
- Developing and implementing capacity building programmes for diverse school community audience groups
- Ensuring effective communication and flow of information
- Managing information and reporting
- Developing and maintaining effective partnerships
- Supporting MIET AFRICA strategically
Interested applicants should:
Send an email, clearly stating “Project Manager: Strengthening school-based systems” in the subject line, and attach:
- A letter of application, clearly stating the position
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Copy of ID or passport
- Copy of work permit if non-South African
- Copy of unendorsed driver’s licence
- Copy of qualifications
- Copy of latest salary slip
- Police clearance certificate or affidavit clearly stating involvement in any criminal activities
To: HR on email@example.com
Note the following:
The salary will be discussed with the successful candidate.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
MIET AFRICA reserves the right not to fill the post, or to re-advertise to widen the pool of applicants or to head hunt a suitable candidate.
MIET AFRICA also reserves the right to do a complete verification of all information supplied.
Closing date for applications is 28 September 2018.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
This is a Durban-based position. MIET AFRICA will not subsidise any relocation costs borne by the successful candidate.