Vacancy: Training Co-ordinator: Secondary School Maths Specialist
The Sanlam Blue Ladder Schools Maths Improvement Programme
MIET AFRICA, an education development NGO working in partnership with the Sanlam Foundation and the KZN Department of Education (KZN DoE), requires the services of an experienced Maths education specialist to coordinate and lead the implementation of a Maths Improvement Programme at eight secondary schools in and around Durban, which includes development and support of teachers and selected learners in the FET phase. The key objective is to raise the level of learner performance in Maths at the schools. This is a Durban-based position which requires an experienced Maths teacher/trainer and school support person who is familiar with the CAPS curriculum (Maths) and with working in South African public schools. This is an immediate vacancy with the project ending in January 2020.
- Lead the training, development and support of secondary school teachers in the eight project schools through support workshops, and classroom mentoring and support visits where necessary
- Work with the Maths teachers to identify areas of weakness in Maths experienced by FET learners, and devise appropriate interventions to address the challenges
- Oversee the work of and support learner support assistants (Maths facilitators) who conduct extra-mural classes for FET learners at the eight secondary schools during afternoons, Saturday mornings and school holidays
- Conduct an audit of Maths resources at the project schools, and support the development and procurement of appropriate materials/resources for the teaching and learning of Maths at the secondary schools
- Implement innovative teaching and learning support approaches that enable both learners and teachers to take greater responsibility for their own learning (includes the use of technology or blended learning approaches)
- Conduct internal monitoring and support of the project (includes overseeing the assessment of learners), and prepare monthly reports on the progress of the project
- Manage the budget for materials, resources and teacher and learner activities
- Tertiary qualification, preferably post graduate (Maths Education or Maths as a specialist subject)
- Experience in workshop facilitation (training of Maths teachers)
- Project coordination and management skills especially in the context of education support programmes (FET phase, Science and Maths)
- Experience in working with DoE officials at all levels
- Passion for developing youth in the field of Maths
- Willingness to work on Saturdays (in lieu of a day off during the week)
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written, including report writing skills)
- Code 8/EB driver’s licence and own reliable vehicle
INTERESTED APPLICANTS SHOULD:
Send an email, clearly stating “Training coordinator: Sanlam Maths 2018” in the subject line, and attach:
- A letter of application, clearly stating the position
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Copy of ID
- Copy of work permit (if non-South African resident)
- Copy of valid and unendorsed driver’s licence
- Copy of qualifications
Police clearance certificate or affidavit clearly stating involvement in any criminal activities
To: HR on email@example.com
Note the following:
The salary will be negotiated with the successful applicant.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
MIET AFRICA reserves the right not to fill the post, or to re-advertise to widen the pool of applicants. It also reserves the right to do a complete verification of all information supplied.
Closing date for applications is 15 June 2018.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.